Free preschool program
Area Five Head Start provides free preschool in Cass, Fulton and Wabash counties. Head Start accepts children regardless of race, gender, color, creed, national origin or Special Needs. Eligibility for enrollment is based on the child’s age and family income.
Area Five Head Start is currently taking applications for Bus Drivers
If you are interested, please stop by Area Five Agency for an application or call 574-722-4451 for more information.
Work schedule is family friendly and flexible
Weekends, major holidays, summer time and evenings off
We assist with trainings and professional development opportunities
We are currently taking child applications for the school year!
Any child turning 3 years old by August 1 is eligible to attend Head Start.
If you are interested in filling out an application for your child, please call one of the phone numbers below to make an appointment.
- For Fulton County, please call (574)-223-4994
- For Cass County, please call (574)-722-4451
- For Wabash County, please call
- (260)-563-5666 for our Wabash Site
- (260)-982-7885 for our Laketon Site
At your appointment to fill out the application, please bring the following:
- Child's birth certificate
- Child's shot record
- Any important documents (Custoday Papers, IEP, allergy, asthma, etc.)
- Income information (current pay stub and last years W2 or tax form, SSI or Child Support documentation if applicable)
About Area Five Head Start
Area Five Head Start is a preschool program offered four days a week August-May. Our curriculum is aligned with Indiana’s Early Learning Development Framework and Indiana Academic Standards. In addition to education, Head Start also provides:
- Hot breakfast and lunch
- development assessments
- Individualized teaching
- Parent involvement opportunities
- Family support with resources
- Speech & hearing evaluations
- School readiness skills
The expectation is that parents will participate in the program at all levels, including donating time to help the program. It is important to review and understand our Head Start center policies on transportation, curriculum, and more.
"Grandpa Jay", a volunteer at Head Start
To apply for Head Start, visit your nearest participating location:
Additional Head Start Resources:
- National Head Start site for families
- National Head Start Association
- Indiana Head Start Association
- Health Coverage, Food Stamps, Cash Assistance
- Kids Health
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Indiana Association for the Education of Young Children
- Kid’s Mental Health Portal
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)